Monday, December 27, 2010

Hot Sauce- Glazed Tempeh

Recipe #1: Grilled Tempeh (pronounced tem-pay)
What you will need:

1 (8-ounce) package tempeh-  I get mine at Trader Joes
1/2 cup wine
1/4 cup hot sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne

Wisk all ingredients for the sauce into a bowl large enough to cover the tempeh slices once cooked.
Cut tempeh in half, widthwise, then the resulting squares diagonally to get 4 triangles. Drop into boiling water for 10 minutes.  (Note* the tempeh will expand in the boiling water). Immediately place the tempeh into the sauce and let marinade for 1 hour- flipping every now and then to cover with marinade.

There are a few different ways to cook the tempeh- I used a cast-iron grill pan.
Heat pan to medium- high heat. Lightly brush grill with olive oil and grill each side of tempeh for 5 minutes. Re-apply more marinade if desired. During the 5 minutes on each side, pick the pieces up off the grill and re-adjust on the grill, so they don't start sticking to the pan; a) because you want to keep the triangles in-tact and b) it's a bitch to clean the grill when you're done  :)

This was DELICIOUS!!!!!  So far so good- off to a roaring start. The marinade was bursting with flavor and the tempeh was cooked just right.  Feels good to have aced my first recipe!!  YESSSS.  My intentions were to put the tempeh over a fresh salad- but I got too hungry to wait for the tempeh to marinate, and ended up eating the salad by itself (which was probably a good thing, because the tempeh has SO MUCH flavor, the salad would have been superfluous).


**NOTE:  I did not copy and past the EXACT directions from the book... I re-worded and worked in a little knowledge from what I learned by cooking it myself. Mostly because I don't want to plagiarize their book...

No comments:

Post a Comment